We're glad you're considering attending Appalachian State University and majoring in Communication. The Department of Communication has five different concentrations: Advertising, Communication Studies, Electronic Media/Broadcasting, Journalism, and Public Relations. The faculty in each of these areas constantly update the curriculum, with advice from professionals in the field, to give you the education that you need to work in communication.
Lots of exciting things are on the horizon! Our converged media project will involve students from every concentration and will train students to work in the communication field today, where newspapers deliver video online, television networks create social networks for fans, and hospitals put PR messages on billboards. We're also very excited about the new production facilities planned at the Beasley Broadcasting Complex.
Along with the exciting curriculum we offer students, we give students the opportunity to get involved in student organizations related to their chosen concentration. Each student organization is involved in variety of events including having guest speakers who are professionals in the field, having opportunities to network, having opportunities to learn about interviewing and etiquette, and, of course, having fun and fellowship with fellow classmates.
Many of our students also take internships during the junior and senior years. We have an extremely strong internship program, with opportunities around the world--from Ireland to New Zealand. Our students have interned at such places as MTV, CNN News, NBC, and many more.
Please visit the different pages of our website; we believe that you will be as excited as we are about the program! If we can be of further assistance, please contact us. For information about applying to be a major in our department, please check the Requirements page.
You've got two options for learning more about us: if you're the free-spirited, easy-going type, just browse around the site at random using the links at the top of the page. If you're the structured, get-to-the-point type, use the links below to go straight to the areas we think you'll find most useful.
- Concentrations: Here you can learn about the five majors within our department, including the courses required for graduation (on the checksheets).
- Faculty Database: See and read about the people from whom you'll be taking those courses.
- Clubs: Check out the various departmental student groups that will help you have a life outside of classes
- Internships: Find out more about the opportunities for getting real-world experience, literally around the world.
- Honors Program: Got what it takes? Learn more about our program for exceptional students.
- Location/Contact Information: Find where we are on campus, or get in touch with a real person instead of a computer.
- ASU's Admissions Page: If you haven't already visited this section of ASU's site, you'll want to do so soon. Tons of information is collected here, mostly about admissions, but also about residence life, financial aid, and more.
- COM Admissions/Requirements Page: Find information about applying to be a major in our department here.
Become a Major
For information about declaring Communication as your major, please check the Requirements page.
Department of Communication
ASU Box 32039
Boone, NC 28608-2039